Although I was only able to see the first hour of the film, I was able to experience the music in the film. I believe the choices of music were very unique and acceptable in The Great Gatsby.
The music that was used was very modern. He used familiar choices such as "Heart of the City" by Jay Z and "I Can't Stop." I believe the reason that he did this was to give a modern appeal to the audience and help them to connect more to the movie. The music helped me feel how Nick felt at the time when he was at the house party with Tom Buchanan, alive and young. Another reason I feel his music choice was appropriate was to touch on the fact of old versus new money. The music also showed how good the rich had it in the roaring 20's. All of the music that I experienced in the limited time that I have watched it were intense music in a happy time, such as when Nick and the gang were driving downtown and they heard "Heart of the City" being played while the other car was dancing and laughing and drinking like there was no tomorrow. From AP US History I learned that these times weren't so great for people that were less financially fortunate because it was almost the next Gilded Age where social disparity was extremely high.
The music chosen in The Great Gatsby was a creative masterpiece by Luhrmann. All of these ideas went into choosing the music and it turned out to astound and appeal to the modern audience. All in all, an excellent movie that I recommend to anyone (unless the ending ruins it to which I have not yet seen).
No comments:
Post a Comment