After taking the Christian Science Monitor quiz, it has come
to my attention that I am coined as an Upper-Middle Class American, in which I
cannot deny. I see myself as more in the “middle” middle-class, but now that I
am reflecting more on my life I can see how I am in the upper-middle class.
Money has never been an extreme issue and I’ve been able to get almost
everything that I’ve asked for without hesitation (besides video games that
have been rated as mature). Looking more in depth on the quiz itself, I think
the questions asked were pretty valid towards determining your social status;
however, they never considered education. In my opinion, education is extremely
important because the poor are seen as uneducated; therefore, timid to people
that have the opportunity to get an education. I also wish the class didn’t ask
about how much money you have left over after your expenditures because I don’t
keep track of all the money that I spend and have left over. Other than that I
have no complaints about the quiz and I feel it was very accurate in
determining my social class.
Over the past couple days, we’ve been reading about social
class and what others see on this issue. In the article Shadowy Lines That Still Divide it reads, “At a time when education
matters more than ever, success in school remains linked tightly to class.” I
believe this statement is true because most of the wealthy Americans have an
outstanding education. Also, in order to fulfill the requirements of a highly
regarded and well paid job, you need to have an education that aids you in
performing the requirements. In the article Money
Always Talks, it spoke about how the less fortunate feel uncomfortable
around wealthier social classes. I can relate because, being an upper-middle
class American, I have found myself surrounded by wealthy people in an area
known as Maple Bluff. I felt I couldn’t engage in conversation with these
people because they were talking about topics that I couldn’t relate to. The
topics of conversation were about eating at the country club and about where
they have travelled to. Unfortunately, I haven’t had the opportunity to travel
to many places or dine at a superb country club. It made me feel shy and
nervous. I just wanted to leave and talk with people who could relate to me.
This leads me to an interesting point, social classes engage
with their same social classes. In the excerpt of the documentary People Like Us that we were watching, it
was talking about only WASP’s could be around other WASP’s, and any outsiders
would be dismissed immediately. In my own experience, this is the same way.
Being an athlete, I tend to hang around with other athletes. If a non-athlete
approached as and tried talking about the same topics that we were discussing,
we gave him a very perplexing look because it seemed that he didn’t have any
credentials because he wasn’t an athlete. This is just like a regular person
trying to jump into a WASP group and make casual conversation.
In our society nowadays, there are many stereotypes that
split social classes and make others feel lesser than the wealthy, but one goal
is everyone’s mind, rich or poor, and that goal is to be the best you can be
(from excerpt of movie). This ideal makes our society strong and you can belong
to any social class. As long as our society holds this ideal, I feel that our
country will only continue to improve with stereotypes and social disparity.
Wait...Stereotypes and social disparity are improvements? You like them? (Your last line is confusing me).
ReplyDeleteAlso, as far as the quiz goes, I do think that education was worked in a little. Certain attitudes, habits, and abilities are associated with the educated or the uneducated, and the quiz touched on those. It was an indirect reference to learning.
That last line confused me as well. It makes you sound like an elitist, which you might be, maybe, but I don't know, I'm not a doctor.
ReplyDeleteI don't believe social disparity and stereotypes are improvements, I was trying to touch on that they are problems; however, a common goal that people have is to try and be the best that you can be. With this idea in mind, we will be able to overcome these problems and feel in line with the wealthy rather than lesser.
ReplyDelete